…to help you and your family get through tough times.
Six months ago, I could go to the grocery store and buy our families staple foods for the week (milk, eggs, fresh fruits/vegetables, bread, meat, and cereal) for about $50. My last trip cost $80. Hmm, not good, especially since we are on a budget. What’s sad is that it is not looking go back down anytime soon. It’s forecast to just keep going up.
So, to help combat the crazy food prices I decided to keep a stocked pantry. Cook hearty meals at home and when good deals come my way use them the best way I could.
Remember this is just what I try to keep on hand in our pantry. Your pantry should reflect what you and your family eat.
Here’s a starter list of foods to keep handy in your pantry.
- Bottled water
- Dry beans/lentils (a variety – and learn how to cook with them if you don’t know how to)
- Dry pasta
- Baking essentials: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar
- Dry milk
- Oil of choice (canola, olive, powdered butter, etc.)
- Canned meat (beef, chicken, tuna)
- Canned vegetables/fruit
- Chicken/Beef/Vegetable stock – or bouillon powder
- Convenience foods (baking mixes, canned soups, chilis, stews, pastas, crackers)
- Honey, syrup, jams
- Peanut butter (or other nut butter if anyone has an allergy in your family)
- Coffee, tea, electrolyte drinks – I also keep a box of “Emergen-C”
- Quick snack bars (protein bars, granola bars, breakfast cereal bars, etc.)
- Dry fruit and vegetables
- Fresh garlic, onions, potatoes and in the fall and winter we have winter squash and pumpkins
- Candy/comfort food (ever now and then you just need a cookie!)
- Animal food – we have a dog and ducks so we keep an extra bag for them.
- **If you have an infant you will need to have formula, baby food
- **Special food needs, gluten free, allergies, etc.
Other ways to combat high food prices is to get myself a good collection of recipes – that my family likes (that the main thing!)- that use low-cost ingredients, most of these contain beans and pasta. And to use what is on sale at our local store that week.
I really hope this helps you and your family. Good luck!