Here are some ideas when you get that all elusive “Mom Time”!
As a mom, I don’t often get true time to myself. Yes, I get some at night after my daughter goes to bed, but usually by then I am so tired all I want to do is go to bed!
The trouble is that regular jobs give you PTO for a “break” – but being a mom is a full time 24/7 job. There are very few days “off”! But being able to carve out a little time for yourself is more than necessary, it allows time to decompress, and refocus. And it has been proven to actually make us better mothers!
And we should always do what is good for us – right?!?
My problem is that when I actually get a little time off, I am stumped by how I should use it. So here is a quick list of things that might be nice for a little Mommy time!
- Take a bath: light a couple candles, get some special bath salts or bubble bath and a radio or headphones to listen to anything other than your little ones trying to claw their way into the bathroom!
- Take a class/join a club: Anything you are interested in? Yoga, painting, literature? It’s also a great way to meet new people and make new friends.
- Go for a drive: Pop in some tunes and just enjoy “being” – If anything these can be little breaks when you have to go to the store, just take the long way home!
- Exercise: Focus on you while working out and sometimes getting a little sweaty helps clear the mind.
- Read: Loose yourself in a great book!
- Work a puzzle: Something that your kids (hopefully) won’t want to help with – like a 5000-piece wheatfield.
- Meditate: Meditation has so many benefits its hard to pin just one down – it is great to get back to your center.
- Take a walk: To clear your mind – even a short jaunt helps ease stress.
- Write in a journal: It can be for anything you want! Somewhere to get all the thoughts out of your head, a list of things to try, places to visit…
- Go to a movie: Sometimes getting lost in a movie is needed- plus they have popcorn!
- Start a hobby/work on a hobby: Knit, crochet, paper crafting, sword making, belly dancing, car repair…whatever tickles your fancy.
Personally, when I am able to get time off, I like to grab my camera gear and head out to a hiking trail. Sometimes I don’t get enough time to have a good hike so I will drive around listening to music until inspiration hits. Other times I like to hide out in my craft room (that’s where I hide the chocolate!) and play with all my craft stuff.
What is something you like to do when you get a little time to yourself?